Order in the next for delivery tomorrow
Frequently Asked Questions
How to change ink cartridge in Canon printers
To change ink in Canon printers, please read below and follow steps. However, there are various models, ranges and types of Canon printers ranging from Pixma, Maxify, inkjet, laser and many more.
For Canon inkjet printers, first locate the ink cartridge access panel or door. This is usually on the front above the paper output tray depending on your printer model.
• Make sure the printer is turned ON.
• Make sure there is no paper in the out tray.
• Open the front cover above the output tray.
• The cartridge holder should now move into replacement position.
• Push down the ink cartridge until you hear a click.
• Remove the ink cartridge from the cartridge holder.
• Remove the new ink cartridge from its packaging and gently tear off protective tape.
• Mostly, you'll find the colour ink cartridge on the left and the black on the right.
• Insert the new cartridge at a slant into the cartridge holder.
• Push the ink cartridge in and up firmly into snap in place.
• Close the cover above the paper output tray and the printer should start calibrating your new ink cartridge.
• Check the LCD screen for further instructions or wait until the printer stops calibrating
For Canon Pixma refillable ink tank or MegaTank printers, the ink tanks are visibly located across the left and right hand side on the front but you will need to lift the scanner unit for all-in-one models or cover for the print only models.
• Make sure your Canon ink tank printer is turned ON.
• Check the remaining ink level with the ink tank indicator on the front of the printer. If the level is low, refill the ink tank.
• Make sure the printer is on a flat surface.
• Lift the scanner unit or cover.
• Black and colour inks are mostly located on the left and right respectively.
• Open the specific side cover for ink tank(s) you need to refill.
• Remove the ink tanks cap of the specific tank to be refilled.
• Take the new ink bottle out of the packaging, hold upright and twist the bottle cap to open.
• Align the nozzle of the ink bottle and with the bottle guide on the printer and insert the bottle upright.
• Squeeze the sides of the bottle gently to refill the ink tank.
• Recap the ink tank inlet with the cap.
• Repeat this process for any other ink tanks that require filling.
• Close the ink tank cover and scanner unit or cover and check the LCD screen for further instructions.
For Canon laser printers you need to close the auxiliary tray and then lift the top cover to reveal your toner cartridge(s).
• Make sure your Canon printer is turned OFF.
• Remove the toner cartridge by pulling or lifting it upwards.
• Remove your new toner from it packaging.
• Shake the new toner about 6 times to redistribute the toner evenly inside and leave on a flat surface.
• Locate and pull the sealing tape straight out from the new Canon toner cartridge.
• Replace the toner cartridge and close the printer's top cover.
• Check the LCD screen for further instructions.
How to check ink levels on canon printer
To check the ink levels on a Canon printer, there are a few methods.
From a Windows computer, check ink levels on a Canon printer using the Canon IJ Status Monitor.
• Make sure your printer is turned ON.
• Launch the Canon IJ Status Monitor either from taskbar or programs.
• This should now display your ink levels.
From a Mac computer, check ink levels on a Canon printer using the Canon IJ Printer utility.
• Make sure your printer is turned ON.
• Locate the Canon IJ Printer utility.
• Click "Ink Level Information" on the Canon IJ Printer Utility.
• All ink types and their status should now be displayed.
For Canon printers with an LCD display, every Canon printer is fitted with an ink level detector to detect ink levels.
• On the LCD screen, press the home button.
• Select the setup button on the home screen. This should now display the setup menu.
• Now select the "Display remaining ink level" option and Press the Ok button.
• You should now see a screen with the ink levels in the form of 4 bars on each colour.
• An exclamation sign on any ink means its running low.
You can also check the ink levels on a Canon printer with the ink lamps built into the ink cartridge. The location of the ink cartridge door or cover will vary depending on your printer model. This will always be on the front of the printer.
• Make sure your Canon printer is turned ON.
• Open the paper tray and paper output tray.
• Open the scanner unit, printer cover or ink cartridge cover.
• You should now see the ink lamps on each ink cartridge.
• If the lamp is on and flashing slowly every 3 seconds, then you ink is running low.
• If the lamp is on and not flashing then your ink level is fine.
Another way to check ink levels on your Canon printer is the ink lamps on the operation panel. This is mostly on the top or front of the printer.
• Make sure your printer is ON and in standby mode.
• The alarm and black ink lamp or colour ink lamp will flash to indicate your ink level .
• 16 flashes of the alarm and black or colour lamps mean your ink cartridge needs replacing
How can I buy canon printer ink cartridges online?
To buy a Canon printer ink cartridges online, Printerbase stocks all Canon printer inks online at Printerbase.co.uk
• Visit Printerbase.co.uk and use our Find Ink and Toner search on the homepage to find your canon printer ink.
• You can also visit our dedicated Canon printer ink finder Printerbase Canon Ink Finderand then use the ink and cartridge finder search by typing your Canon printer model or ink number. You can also select your printer family from the list below the ink and cartridge finder.
How to use only the black ink cartridge on a canon printer
To use only the black ink cartridge on a Canon printer, follow the steps below.
• On a windows computer, make sure your printer is turned ON
• Click on the start menu icon and select "settings" option
• Click on "devices" option then select "Printers & scanners" option.
• Find and select your printer from the list of devices.
• Click on your printer and select "Manage" from the options presented.
• Now select" printer properties" from the list of options.
• You should now see your "Printer Properties" window.
• Select the "Maintenance" option and look for the "Ink Cartridge Setting" option.
• You should now see a window to "Select the ink cartridge for printing" with a drop down list.
• Click and select "Black Only" from the list and click the OK button and Ok again to close the printer properties menu.
• You are now ready to use only the black in cartridge for printing.
• Please note, certain media types and page layout selections may prevent the "Black Only" option from working. Make sure "Borderless" is not selected on your page layout settings.
Do all Canon Pixma printers use the same ink?
The answer is NO. All Canon Pixma printers do not use the same ink. There are several models and series in the Canon Pixma range and they all use different inks. The best way to make sure you find the correct Canon Pixma ink cartridge for your printer
• Find out your Canon Pixma printer model.
• Check the number on your current canon pixma ink cartridge(s).
• Visit http://www.printerbase.co.uk find your Canon Pixma printer model and the inks should be listed on the same page.
• Another option is to visit our website https://www.printerbase.co.uk/ink-toner-cartridges/canon.html and enter your ink cartridge number into the "ink and cartridge finder" or select your Canon Pixma family from the list below the "ink and cartridge finder".
• If you still are unable to find your Canon Pixma ink cartridge, please call or or visit our website and chat with our friendly Canon UK trained staff for help.
Use our ink and cartridge finder